Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I Have a 2009 Toyota Camry, where i notice smooth

Customer Question
I Have a 2009...

I Have a 2009 Toyota Camry, where i notice smooth accelaration when started, but after few miles driving, i Feel I have to Keep more pressure on the gas pedal to move the Vehicle

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It starts as usual

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have shown to Dealer, where they suggested throttle body and fule injection cleaning, I put fuel injection cleaner and throttle body cleaning also done, but No change

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/16/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

How many miles are on the car?

Is the check engine light turning on while driving?

Did you recently buy this car?

114000 miles.
No check engine light on
I brought the car in the mid of Nov 2017.

Thanks for the reply, when did you start noticing this loss of acceleration?

After few rides on the high way for over 10 miles

With no warning lights on the dash turning on it's hard to say what the problem is or even if there is a problem at all.
​Try a different brand of gasoline, the oil companies change to a winter blend this time of year, try higher octane fuel, you also not be used to the way these transmissions shift which is a common customer complaint but that's just the way they shift which seems like it's shifting more up and down than the older cars, good luck.

I have shown it to few mechanics, They suggested No problem with the Transmission. Can you suggest me if it could be in related to air fuel mix not working properly after few miles of driving or some air leak, as the engine is super reactive as soon as i press the gas pedal.

I​f air fuel trim was out of range the check engine light would turn on, the computer monitors all input signals very closely, I don't see a problem here.

One small Point to note is the Mileage, i am getting both on high way or On other roads does not cross 20 per gallon.
its running fuel rich too.
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Do you still wish an opinion and assistance?

trying to get to the bottom of this.

Ok I have a few questions so I know where to start. how long since last tune up?

98k spark plugs changed and Transmission Oil changed/ engine oil and filter changed at 114k, just before purchase

Ok thanx for that info there are a few things that can drop your mileage and performance that will not show as an engine fault to set off the engine light. These tend to creep up gradually until they become more noticeable and a problem. What engine is in your vehicle ? 4 cyl or v6?

I will offer you a service so we can get these items explained faster and better if you wish or continue as we are just let me know as this will be your choice.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

4 cylinder

ok do you wish to use the service or just continue texting?

just continue texting for now

ok as it was tuned up not long ago there are things that are not done with that service, these are an engine oil flush and injector flush . with the engine flush , over time internal parts get varnished up demanding moer power use to operate and also rings start sticking loosing their efficiency. This is done simply by pouring a good engine flush into the dirty oil just before changing it, then you run the engine for about 10 -15 min at about 1500 RPM . Then you change the oil as usual. I would also recommend the use of a good friction proffer as this will also restore lost power. I will forward some products to do these services. Getting into the injector flush, this is properly done with a machine that directly puts a strong clening product directly through the injectors, then you add a can of fuel system cleaner to the fuel tank to follow up and every 4th or 5th fill up for maintenance. this is done to restore a proper pattern to the injectors that robs power .I will also send some products for this service. After you do these services you should know a significant improvement.

here are some oil flush products along with what oil looks like before and after it was done.

0deefdd1-8392-4b63-b311-...JPG0deefdd...JPG78571d1c-1d6a-41f3-aa93-...jpg78571d1...jpg553c49b5-1c73-4fbe-b40d-...jpg553c49b...jpge29d543d-7b37-4b2b-9abf-...jpge29d543...jpg

Those injector cleaners are for follow up and preventive issues after the power flush.

the oil additive I recommend using is Lucas oil stabilizer, use as directed.

The one last thing you may want to do is a carbon blast as this restores the combustion chamber to it's original efficiency. this also you can do at home.I will send you some product pictures to do this . There is also a before and after this service pic so you can see what it does.

Being it is an 4 cyl every little bit can either rob power or increase it back to it's original power so by doing these services you should notice a difference.

Is there any further help I may provide for you let me know.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician