Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2001 Avalon P1135 and P1155 codes, replaced with brand new…

Customer Question
2001 Avalon P1135 and...

2001 Avalon P1135 and P1155 codes, replaced with brand new sensors but codes still come back

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

This car has 3 different ones, I had this problem so much that I just replaced all 3 (very costly) but still problem exists.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?

I did some myself, took to mechanic and they too changed same sensors and got same result. They say they cannot do anything else as they don't know what to do

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I think that is it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/16/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Could you please tell me the parts that were replaced? In the mean time I will go over our shop notes and make my suggestions

There are 3 O2 sensors on this vehicle, all three were just replaced.

Yes that is correct , now I need to know if you replaced them with aftermarket or OME factory original equipment?

This is important as they are not the right resistances and we have had problems with certain aftermarket ones .

I am aware. We went through all of that so now they are 100% the Toyota parts
What I need to know is WHAT else can cause this problem if it is NOT the 3 sensors.

If the sencor codes come back and it is all three ,not likely the wiring to all is damaged unless they were roughly worked on so there is a common issue that on older vehicle's we have found and that is the ground from the exhaust to the body is lost. you can make one up to see if that is the issue with a piece of wire and eyelet connecters so you can fasten them one end on a clean spot of exhaust the other to body.Let me know if that works

Only the two codes are coming on P1135 and P1155. This all happened about a year ago also, at that time we replaced one sensor, then another, then finally all 3 and the codes finally went out for several months. Then both of these came back on. My local mechanic said he was worried one of those new sensors just went bad, so he just (last week) replaced them again (this is costly!!!). If I had a bad ground on the vehicle, would that not cause many more issues than this one specific one? I mean, adding a simple ground wire is simple enough, but it does not sound like a likely cause to me???

No not at all if you could see on the whole wiring diagram how many different grounds you have on your vehicle you'd be amazed! This ground I asked you to install is specific to those censors as it supplies a ground for them to operate properly.Originaly there is or was a braided ground attached from the exhaust to body and most likely rotted off.

OK, I'll do the ground and see if that resolves the issue.

don't forget to cancel codes after you install ground

How would I go about actually testing the O2 sensors to make sure they are indeed good?

you can do a resistance test and or which is more accurate is to put a scanner on it that shows bar graphs this shows exactly what it is doing and it's performance. I will be back latter today with some specs and procedures for this if you like.

Ok, thanks
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago

hope this also helps out with your diagnoses , Remember to use OME factory sensors.

Now if only I understood all this!I can take a multimeter to the wires and check for resistance, but knowing what resistance to expect and which wires to check is really what is needed here.

For me to walk you through testing each sensor and wiring this will talk time and resources , so in order to do this I will need you to accept a service that I will offer , I have sent all the info to you that is needed to do so , but if you need guidance to do so this is how we can proceed.