Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Daughters car, trying to diagnose remotely. 2003 Prius

Customer Question
Hi...daughters car, trying to...

Hi...daughters car, trying to diagnose remotely. 2003 Prius classic with 202k miles. Engine failed to start sporadically, throwing codes 3191, 3100, 3125. Newer aux batt discharging as well when car not run weekly. Had the carb cleaned, but not the MAF (Prior owner had that wok done at 100K)

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Sine she likes to leave the domelight on, installed a Voltmeter into the Cig oulet, and a spare 12V, 7A SLA batt in the trunk. The batt is fully charged, but may have lost some capacity as it went down to under 6V twice

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Classic yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, 400 miles away. she took it to loacl shade tree guy, He cleaned the carb, read the codes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thats it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 day by:
12/17/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician

I am sorry no one has responded yet. I know you must be thinking " I have been taken or this is a scam" Neither is the case. Sometimes there are more questions than we can get to and we just keep getting farther and farther behind. Sometimes what a customer asks, no experts online are confident their answer will be good enough. Is there any more information you can add to your concern or is there another concern you may have that we could answer instead?

Chris

No, this is the question I need answered. if you can't answer it, let me know so I can contact CS for a refund.

I have the diagnostic steps for these codes would that help?

No. I already have that.

I have nothing left to offer then. I will opt out.

Toyota Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

You said he cleaned the carb but the vehicle is fuel injected? Do you mean cleaned the throttle body?

Correct, throttle body, which is a part of a carb also. This model has a problem with dirt or carbon deposits preventing full closure of the throttle plate, which causes a error signal which may prevent the ECU from allowing the car to start. Recently replaced the coolant pump, perhaps the dealer did not clear the inverter error code.

Has the inverter been replaced? Usually the 3100 and 3125 indicate that the inverter needs to be replaced.

No. inverter cooling pump only. There are MANY subcodes to the basic inverter code.

If you clear all codes which one returns first?

Car is not here. Will be coming home in a day. Will let you know.

Ok sounds good.

Dan. going out of town for a few days, don't need the answer right away. I got the car back this PM. all codes clear except now a new one. Disconnected the small batt, code still appears C1259 which indicates something with the HV inverter. Car operates normally, including regen and small batt charges fine.Is there a way to read the subcodes from the dash display? I recall seeing that somewhere. If not, what are likely cause(s) besides an open service port on the Inverter?
Toyota Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 6 months ago

FYI, C1259 is just a information code passed from the HV battery ECU to tell the other respective ECUs there is a battery problem. (This is so they can modify their behavior to further protect the car, driver and battery.)

What scan tool are you using?

Old car MD. Would I get subcodes from a reader at a auto parts store?

Auto parts stores use code readers that have limited access. You really need a high end scan tool like a shop or dealer would have.

OK. I think that answers my question. You can close this session out. Thanks for your help

No problem. I would appreciate it a lot if you gave me a 3 or more star rating.

Thank You very Much