Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Front passenger seatbelt is twisted and no longer retracts.

Customer Question
Front passenger seatbelt is...

Front passenger seatbelt is twisted and no longer retracts

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2005 Sienna

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

Would like to try fixing myself. Have not done anything yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/15/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

If the seat belt is twisted badly enough you might have to remove the paneling and untwist it by hand. At this point it no longer pulls out or retracts right?

That is correct. So how do I remove the paneling?

Here are the general directions for replacement of the retractor. You don't have to go that far but it gives you an idea of what you are looking for. I'll attach the paneling instructions too.

Here is how the paneling comes off:

This is not very helpful. What tools are needed? etc. I found out more from looking at a you tube video.

A basic socket set should do it. The fasteners are either 12mm or 10mm-I can't remember which and the diagrams never tell. It's also nice to have either a flat head screw driver or a trim pry tool.

The paneling just pops off. Only the top trim piece where the adjuster is located has hold down screws.

I don't have remove the handle?

You will have more room if you remove the seat, but you can most likely just move it all the way back or all the way forward, whichever you feel gives more clearance, and then pull just the part labeled "center pillar molding". Once you have that pulled then you should be able to see where the belt is twisted.

I was asking about the handle attached to the panel not the seat itself
Still there?

I was trying to find an actual photo of this year model. The diagram I have doesn't show a handle on the panel. Just the adjuster slider.

They all have handles. I wii find help elsewhere
Handles are on all of the Sienna's. I will find help elsewhere
How do I end this session???
Toyota Mechanic: 6Bucs, Senior Master Tech replied 5 months ago
6Bucs
6Bucs, Senior Master Tech
Phone call session started
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician