Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

94 Celica cranks but doesn't start. I started it and used an…

Customer Question
94 Celica cranks but...

94 Celica cranks but doesn't start. I started it and used an air compressor to air up tires it ran fine for 10 minutes. Went back later and it won't start. I bought a new battery and that wasn't the problem. There is no spark. I can smell fuel, it has oil and coolant. What could be the issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?

How do I check those?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Celica yourself? What have you tried so far?

Before when I started the car it started up just fine and was running 4 hours later it wouldnt start. A friend checked for a spark but there was no spark

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It is crabking but just not turning over. When o try to give it has to help it doesn't seem like its doing anything I dont hear the engine rev up

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/15/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 8 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting your question

When you turn the key to On do the dash lights all turn on including the check engine light?

Do you have a 12 volt test lamp or a voltmeter?

Have you looked at any of the fuses in the box under the hood?

the car sat for a couple months, I jumped the battery and it started up just fine there were no problems with it starting. I used an air compressor and balanced the psi in my tires. About 4 hours later I came back and the car was cranking but wouldn't turn over. I had friends check the fuses they said they were good, said they could smell fuel so that wasn't the problem. I thought the battery may have just gone dead because it had started great earlier. so i just went ahead and bought a new battery but that wasn't the problem either. The oil is full but is old, all the lights come on when I turn the key and I do hear clicking so the starter is good. I'm wondering what could have gone wrong in 4 hours. They also checked for a spark by pulling something out and using metal to look but there was no spark. I don't know a lot about cars. I'm trying to sell this one because I am moving and don't need 2 cars where I move. Also, the clutch is engaging and feels good. I had a car that had that problem but the clutch is fine on the Celica.

Thanks for the reply

My next questions are extremely important for me to understand what the problem is:

When you turn the key to start does the engine respond by cranking as before or does it crank faster than before?

If the engine turns over turn the key back off and turn it to the ON position, does the check engine light illuminate? The other lights are not relevant at this time.

The engine does crank and since the new battery it feels like there's more power to the car and is cranking faster than before. The check engine light does turn on

Ok, thanks.

Remove the distributor cap, have someone crank the engine, does the distributor rotor turn with the engine cranking?