Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1997 Toyota Corolla 1.6l automatic. The starter keeps

1997 Toyota Corolla 1.6l...

1997 Toyota Corolla 1.6l automatic. The starter keeps turning even if the ignition switch is off or key is out. Just replaced third starter. I believe its the starter relay but I can't find where it is located. I have pulled all relays out of the car and car still turns over constantly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Car is in Park.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced starter. Pulled the relays in the main fuse box in the engine compartment left kick panel and two relays in the fuse box by the drivers seat in the car. The car did this before and blew the 40amp starter fuse. Second time it just burned the starter up.

12/14/2017
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

If you disconnect the solenoid wire at the starter does it still do this?

I does when I unhook the clip that hold on to the starter wire on.
The last time the starter went out, it burned up the starter. Wires might have got hot. Looking for where the starter relay is located. It's not in the fuse box.

let me check and get back to you.

Three starters have done the same thing. I don't believe it's the starter. Just bought last one today.
There has also been times the starter would not start. I wiggled negative and positive wires and sometimes it works but not for long. I started the car today and it ran for 5 minutes at idle with no problem. I put the car in reverse and within 3-5 seconds the starter kicked in and wouldn't stop. I had to disconnect battery cable to keep stop starter.

it sounds like it may be a problem with the ignition switch, the relay should be behind the right kick panel and marked "ST" relay.

Where is the right kick panel? Under the hood on the drivers side? There is no fuse box on the right side under the hood. I pulled the two relays by the heater fuses on the passenger side and hooked up battery and it still didn't help.

The right side kick panel is inside below the dash, it's a plastic cover.

I​f it's an automatic transmission it doesn't have a starter relay, current flows from the ignition switch through the neutral start switch to the starter solenoid (the small wire) on the starter, if you disconnect this wire from the solenoid that the problem stop?

The problem stops if you unhook the wire but you can't start the car. Yes, it is an automatic.
Is the part number 84450-20260 for the ignition switch?

Yes that is the electrical part that goes on the back of the ignition switch.

do I need just this part and not the lock cylinder.

Just that electrical part.

I'll give this a try. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome and good luck.

Ted, I did find the starter relay under the dash on the drivers side. It is above the fuse box and out of sight. I replaced the starter relay fuse but it didn't fix the problem. I ordered the ignition relay and should it have it in a few days. Basically just clarifying that there is a starter relay in in the cabin, drivers side, by left foot, out of sight due to being above the small fuse box. I will let you know how the ignition relay goes.

Thanks for that update and keep me posted.

Replaced ignition switch. Did not fix problem.

That is bad news, the only other part the wire goes through is the neutral safety switch, when this happens and you shift into drive does it stop?

No. Car will drive in reverse but starter is still going.
Once I hook up the battery, no matter what gear it is in, it starts to crank.

O​k, somehow the starter solenoid is getting voltage with the key NOT in the start position.

disconnect the starter solenoid wire, connect a 12 volt test light to the wire with the pointed end of the light and ground the other clip. turn the key on, if the light turns on disconnect the neutral safety switch connector, the NS switch is located on the transmission where the shifter selector connects, at that point does the light go off or stay on?

I don't have a voltage meter. I will have to get back with you.

O​k, just see if the starter stops running when you disconnect the neutral switch. That will work as well for now.

I wiggled the neutral safety switch connection and this causes the starter to start and stop. I guess there is a sgort internally.

T​hat's what I was afraid of, never seen that before but I don't see how it could be anything else.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech