Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just change my timing belt water pump spark plugs and fuel…

Customer Question
I just change my...

I just change my timing belt water pump spark plugs and fuel injectors. I try starting it after and it's not turning over

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

I put a battery charger on it it start but then shut off after a few seconds

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

I never change it before..I have a 2000 4runner

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes everything is back together now I'm at a stand still

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just want to know if I miss something in the process

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/14/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Did you turn the engine over by hand at least 3 times revolution when you installed the belt? Is the starter engaging but the engine just not turning ?

I didn't turn the engine 3 revolution I turn it to align the marks

Is the starter engaging but the engine just not turning ?

when installing any timing belt this procedure always needs to be done to double check marks and belt tightness,

Starter is engaged I'm thinking it's the timing because I didn't rotate it enougj

ok try to turn it over by hand if that dosent work you will need to pull the components and check the timing system again

Can I do that without taking it apart

do what? turn it over by hand?

yes just get a 1/2 breaker bar and turn it over at the crank bolt clockwise, make sure to remove all spark plugs so you can feel whats going on with the bar

Do I need to put something in the #1 cylinder to know when it's at TDC

no right now we are just seeing if the engine will turn

The engine crank it just don't start

have you checked spark and fuel?

I have spark

what about fuel

Toyota Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!