Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Pear, I have a 2002 Toyota 4 Runner and is leaking oil on…

Customer Question
Hello Pear, Mechanic's Assistant:...

Hello Pear,

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Hello Pearl, I have a 2002 Toyota 4 Runner and is leaking oil on the right side of the engine, most probably oil engine, or it could be transmission's.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

No I never did. How about a hole in the oil Pan, could that be possible?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I just looked underneath but I don't have the time or the inclination for a mayor work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The truck has only 38 K miles so the engine is in good shape.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/14/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 2 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Unless you hit something you most likely do not have a hole in the oil pan. Looking from the top of the motor can you see any oil leaks from the valve covers? If the oil is leaking there then it would run down and back on the motor.

Hello Jay,So, it is not a hole in the pan, but apparently leaking from the top. What do you suggest? How much would that cost, assuming the mechanic is not a crook, to fix?
The first thing I suggest is to have a mechanic check it and give you their leak diagnosis and quote since I cannot see the leak and it could be something as simple as an oil drain plug seal leak and an oil change and plug gasket seal is needed.
Thanks Jay, I am going today to Pep Boys for a check, and a quote.Michael
Once you get them to quote and locate the leak for you then let me know exactly the details of the whole and I can then verify the labor for the work needed is fair. Make sure to get their hourly labor rate.
Hello Jay,
Pep Boys assures me there is nothing wrong with the engine, just overfilling, which I think was done by Wal Mart two month ago, apparently Wal Mart did not empty the oil pan before filling it again.By the way Pep Boys, recommended to me by a gent at the barber shop, is evidently a company to be trusted.Thanks for your ideas.Michael

This is exactly what I was talking about getting a mechanic to check it. You have a metal cover under the engine that when changing the oil filter they must of get oil to spilled on it when doing last oil change. I would make sure to clean any spilled oil up on that pan after I did the work. This is why getting even oil changes should be done at a mechanic ant jst an oil change inexperienced worker shop. Make sure in future you mention to clean the cover off of any spilled oil so not to have problem again.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61