Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I replaced the battery, and now the engine will not turn…

Customer Question
I replaced the battery...

I replaced the battery, and now the engine will not turn over. It has an alarm system and I think it has to be reset but I don't remember the steps needed to do that.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?

Dash indicator lights come on but engine does not turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

1998 Solara

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Solara yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I know the alarm is active because the light on the dash is flashing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just I know I need to reset the alarm system

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/14/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 2 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Hi my name is***** this a factory or aftermarket alarm system?
I believe factory
Have you tried to close all doors and hood and lock the doors with key in door and then wait one minute and then unlock door with key?
No
Try that first.
Nope. Didn't work
Do you have the remote to lock and unlock doors and does it work for lock and unlock?
Key remote does not work

Did it work before battery was replaced?

Try to just put key in ignition and turn key to on without trying to crank engine and leave in on position for up to 5 minutes and see if the theft light goes out and then go straight to start without turning off key.

One other thing to do is to turn the key on and off with out starting 5 times and after the last time leave key in on position and light should reset and go direct to start.

Did any of the procedures work for you?

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61