Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

We've got a 92 Toyota 4 Runner with the speedometer not

Customer Question
We've got a 92 Toyota...
We've got a 92 Toyota 4 Runner with the speedometer not working. We replaced the speed sensor and the needle shot to 10 and then dropped. We replaced the speedometer cluster and still nothing.
-Vehicle is Manual.
- We have power and ground going into the speed sensor & speedo.
-Green/Yellow wire have constant ground. Black/Orange wire have constant power (12V)
-Green/Red 12V at idle & fluctuates voltage signal. All at cluster & testing speed sensor.Any ideas what the issue could be? Thank you
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/14/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

It does not have a speedo cable, is this correct?

Did you get any diagnostic codes from the OBD 1 connector under the hood?

does the speed sensor in the transmission have a nylon gear on it?

No cable, correct. No codes present. Yes, does have a nylon gear.

Please make sure the gear is not damaged and check the drive gear inside the transmission.

Okay both gears visually look good. Not chewed up or anything.
The voltage checked out good as well

I will look at a wiring diagram and get back to you.

Was the entire instrument cluster replaced?

the entire cluster was replaced.

Sorry but I'm afraid that I'll have to opt out on this one and hopefully another expert here has had this same problem and has a solution. best of luck.

Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Different expert here. If I remember correctly, the manual transmission 4Runner of this year relies on two inputs for the speedometer operation. One is the sensor, the other is the electronic control unit (fuel injection computer). If you look at the back of the cluster where the speedo wires connect, you might see three wires. Two lead to the sensor. The remaining wire comes from the Computer. I suspect problems here. The sensor should not have a 'ground' and power. The sensor is a counter and should not be receiving power unless something is faulty in the dash harness/computer area that is causing the power to be present in the speedo sensor.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert