Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The toyota red brake light turned on and then turned off…

Customer Question
Hi the toyota red...

Hi the toyota red brake light turned on and then turned off after a couple of minutes

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

I took it to toyota for maintenance in november and they said my brakes were fine for the winter

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2009 highlander

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?

No i just didn't know if it was an emergency or if it could wait until i can make an appointment it has 47000 miles on it and I have not changed the brakes they are the original is there something i should be doing as far as maintenance

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/13/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If this was just the red brake light that came on and went off usually this is due to low fluid level in the brake fluid reservoir or an issue with the brake fluid level sensor or a fault with the emergency brake not released all of the way or the sensor for it at fault.

It is a good idea to have this looked into further before driving it to much to prevent any driving or braking issues as it is a safety light that has come on and gone off.

If the fluid is low the brake pads need to be checked again to make sure they are not worn needing replaced and to make sure you have no brake fluid leaks needing repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete