Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2009 Toyota Tacoma with 124,000 miles on it.

Hello,I have a 2009 Toyota...
Hello,I have a 2009 Toyota Tacoma with 124,000 miles on it. Recently the check engine light has come on along with what I think is the traction control light. Code reader shows codes:
P0418, P2241, P2445. Truck starts and runs fine. My local mechanic says this is a dealer issue and I need to take it to the Toyota dealer. Can you advise?
12/13/2017
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

If you clear the codes to do all three codes come back together or does one particular code set before the others? Does the truck appear to be running normally? Any recent service history?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All three together. Truck starts and runs normally. No recent service.

Ok Do you have the VIN available? I need to research a few things.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
5TEUX42N09Z647959

First of all some FYI information there is an open recall for the rear leaf springs there been multiple issues with the rear leaf springs and I see that you had that addressed back in 2015 you need to make sure that the latest recall has been applied your local dealer can verify that at no charge. That recall number is ***** That being said your primary malfunction here is the 0418 essentially that code means that the air pump driver circuit is open there is an air pump electrical driver module located on the right inner fender well. The other two codes indicate that the diverter valve or switching valve did not function properly not operate properly that diverter valve or switching valves are located on exhaust manifold on the right side of the engine. They are what control the air from the air pump into the exhaust manifold to allow for a better burn of the exhaust gases as it goes out the exhaust pipe. The most common issue is the diverter valve gets moisture and a stick due to corrosion but I've also seen that air pump drivers fail or burn up. Without extensive diagnostic testing it is hard to say for sure whether it's one or both of those issues. As far as creating any problems driving the vehicle it will not affect that this is strictly an emissions control related issue. If you do not require emissions testing to renew your license plate you could just disregard the check engine light and continue to drive if money is an issue at this point.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

You are welcome. If you have not done so please do not forget to rate the assistance I provided to you today at three or higher.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician