Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I'm trying to get my 2001 srunner through inspection and it…

Customer Question
I'm trying to get...

I'm trying to get my 2001 srunner through inspection and it comes back with a fail on the cat. evap. I've been toldyou have to drive it at least 100 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have any warning codes popped up?

I had a check engine light that eventually went out before I took it in. It has 236 k on it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 Toyota?

2001 S Runner

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't done anything yet. Don't want to waste money if I don't have a real fix. I'm and electronics techncian so I know about bandaids or real fixes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. That's it. Thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/13/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This can be a long process for the catalytic converter and evap test to run.Make sure you are at around 1/4 to 3/4 tank of fuel as at a full tank the evap won't run its test.Make sure you are not clearing out any codes or disconnecting the battery or having battery issues with a dead or weak battery as this resets the entire process over again.Then follow this procedure below as this will speed up the computer running the tests on these to then be able to pass emissions testing granted no faults come up ( check engine light coming on).

Cold Start
The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 81 kPa.
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between (41-86°F).
The intake air temperature (IAT) is between (41-86°F).
The start-up ECT and IAT are within (16°F) of each other.
The battery voltage is between 9-16 volts.
The fuel level is between 15-85 percent.

Important: Whenever the ignition is turned ON, ignition positive voltage is supplied to the HO2S heaters. After verifying the enable criteria, turn OFF the ignition for approximately 5 minutes to allow the sensors to cool before continuing with the test. Once the engine is started, DO NOT turn the engine OFF for the remaining portion of the set procedure.

Turn OFF all of the accessories,
Set the vehicle parking brake.
Verify the transmission is in Park for automatic transmissions and Neutral for manual transmissions.
Start the engine and allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes.

Acceleration at part throttle to (55 mph) with this speed maintained until the engine reaches operating temperature. This may be up to 8 minutes depending on the start-up coolant temperature.
Continued operation under these conditions for an additional 6 minutes.

Acceleration at part throttle to (45-55 mph) with this speed maintained for 2 minutes.
Deceleration to (0 mph).
Engine idling for 2 minutes while the following criteria is maintained:
The service brake is depressed.
The automatic transmission is in drive.
The manual transmission is in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?