Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I hear a really loud clanking noise, and my idle and

Customer Question
I hear a really...

I hear a really loud clanking noise, and my idle and acceleration is pretty rough/bogging down

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

It just occured recently, but ill say consistent at the moment

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

93 pickup helux

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 9-3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Before this all happened a shop told me i need to change out the throttle body. however i cannot find the right one for the year/ model im honestly not sure at the moment

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Hmmm not that i can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
this issue orignally started out with my idle surging up and down. took it to a shop and they changed out the throttle position sensor which fixed the surge however my idle is high. and now im hearing this noise that came out of nowhere
12/13/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If there is a vacuum leak on the engine it can cause a lean running condition which can cause the engine to rattle or make noise as well as cause rough idle or running and bogging down.If the engine has not been checked over for any vacuum leaks this needs to be done.Now if the throttle body is leaking or has an issue it may also be causing this issue with it needing replaced.If you are unable to locate a new throttle body you may have to see if you can locate a used one at a salvage yard to replace it as it was diagnosed to see if it resolves this fault.I don't recommend driving it this way as lean running or engine noises can lead to further damage so it does need to be looked into further to then pinpoint and repair this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete