Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I was driving down the freeway and truck lost power and

Customer Question
I was driving down...

I was driving down the freeway and truck lost power and would not start. I had a mechanic come out last night and he said I was not getting power to the fuel pump relay. I jumpered at the relay and heard the pump come on. He used a hot checker to see if there was power and was getting nothing on the relay. I checked this morning with a meter and was reading -12 v DC on 3 legs of the relay port. I figured we jumpered the relay and I was reading voltage it may have been a bad relay. Replaced the relay and still have the same problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It’s consistent. I lost power and truck has not started since

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2006 Tacoma prerunner 6 cycliner

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have kicked the gas tank, replaced the pump relay, jumpered the relay port and got the pump to come on, downloaded Chilton a manual and found out that I need the EFI RELAY, COPN RELAY AND FUEL PUMP RELAY for the pump to come on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am getting -12 volts to each relay, also swapped for light replay with COPN RELAY

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
I ha e power to my EFI relay control voltage from coil and line voltage 12v. The relay chatter when Ininstall it. When I check COPN relay I have 12 v across the relay terminalwith relay removed and no voltage on either leg of line voltage terminals in the fuse box. Looks like I am loosing line voltage between the EFI RELAY and the COPN RELAY
12/13/2017
Toyota Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that could be going on and it's going to require some testing to determine exactly what is wrong. You may have a wiring issue or blown fuse, or it's possible that the engine controller itself is down.

If fuses are good then the next step would be to use a scan tool to see if the ECM will communicate. Has this been done?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician