Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The hatch door on my 2008 prius will not open in cold

Customer Question
The hatch door on...

The hatch door on my 2008 prius will not open in cold weather.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

My local garage mechanic couldn't fix it. I learned how to open it from the inside but that's really tough when the cargo space is filled.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This is the third winter I've had the problem. I live in New England. On unusually warm winter days or during the other three seasons I have no problem with it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/12/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** would be happy to assist you with this.

​What you are experiencing is a common problem on some models when it is cold. What happens is the contacts in the hatch latch actuator get cold and do not make good contact once the actuator is worn down a bit. The usual repair for this issue is a new latch assembly, that is where I would start with it

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician