Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

VSC light came on in car, is this part of the powertrain?

VSC light came on...

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you happen to know the code? Have you tried to reset the computer?

Sorry, 60 year woman, no code, do not know how to reset

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '60 Toyota?

2008 Highlander

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?

Possibly, if not part of powertrain

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just that

12/12/2017
carguy1
carguy1, auto technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Are there any other lights on with this one?

The check engine light came on with it.

Ok

It's possible the check engine light is what caused the other light.

Is it running normally? Other then the lights of course?

Ok

Please give me a couple minutes to type out my reply.

Thank you.

ok

This is likely not a power train issue. Usually when the check engine light comes on and the vehicle is running fine it indicates some type of evap emissions error, like a loose gas cap. There are other parts to the system, but usually this is the first place to check.

After you check it, if it's loose, then tightening it up will reset the system, but it take some time. The light won't go out right away. It has to do a self test.

The VSC light could be the result of the check engine light and once that is cleared the other light will clear.

If you can, most parts stores will read those codes for you for free. If you decide to do that and want to post it here with me, I will be happy to give you a more in depth detailed answer as to what is going on and what to expect at the shop.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

carguy1
carguy1, auto technician