Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 4WD. Mileage is 306,000. My

I have a 2008 Toyota...
I have a 2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 4WD. Mileage is 306,000. My check engine light, VSC, and 4WD alert lights are coming on. I bought a code reader and ran the codes and then took pictures of the code reader. I have no idea what they mean. Please help.
12/12/2017
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

There are two confirmed codes, one is the P0355 which is a coil/ignitrer malfunction and the other,C1201 is sort of a generic code that indicates the computer has detected a malfunction and is not communicating with other computers like VSC (skid control) or the 4x4 computer, these are disabled as long as the check engine light is on and will turn off as soon as the P0355 code is taken care of. Please give me a few moments to identify which coil is causing the problem.

T​he code indicates there is a problem with the #5 cylinder ignition coil, it is located in the cylinder head near the firewall near the driver's side at the end of the cylinder head, each cylinder has a coil/igniter pack mounted directly on top of the spark plugs, in this case the #5 cylinder coil. If you want to do this yourself purchase a new coil from an autoparts store and install it. It's a little hard to get to since it's on the firewall side so if you have no tools or don't feel comfortable doing this have a repair shop do this for you. The codes have to be cleared using the scanner once the coil is replaced. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns about this.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Outstanding!! Thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it safe to drive the car to the repair shop? I don’t want to complicate the problem. But, it would be helpful to Drive it there if won’t harm anything

I​t's safe to drive, within a reasonable distance say 10 miles or so, best of luck and please take a moment to leave a positive rating so I get credit for my help, thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Absolutely! Thank you so much

You're welcome.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech