Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Probably a bad ICE water pump. It overheated, according to…

Customer Question
Probably a bad ICE...

Probably a bad ICE water pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

Yes, it overheated, according to the diagnostics on the dash/console. last oil change was about 2k mi ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2005 Prius

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried to fix, just checked a few things. saw some fluid pooling on the top of the plastic engine cover, below the water pump and coolant reservoir

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
Checked the coolant level in the overflow tank, and level was between the two marks.
The diagnostic lights were the red triangle on the dashboard with the exclamation, and the coolant thermometer icon shown on the console.
12/12/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 7 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

T​hanks for posting, when the engine overheats it will trigger the master warning light, it sounds like the gas engine water pump is leaking, it's not unusual on these engines at higher mileage, replace the thermostat at the same time and use the super long life pink coolant as the factory specifies for hybrids.