Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The abs light is on and the car is jolting, just the abs,

Customer Question
The abs light is...

The abs light is on and the car is jolting

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Just the abs

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2009

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Went to a machanic yestday

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

He said it was fixed, now he says to ignore the light..it's ok ..don't work..it's a "girl thing" but it's still jolting and the light's still on

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/11/2017
Toyota Mechanic: karrs2fix, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
karrs2fix
karrs2fix, ASE Certified Technician

When are you feeling the "jolting" ? when braking at higher speeds, coming to a stop? Does it accelerate ok, does the check engine light ever come on or start flashing?

When you took it in , did they tell you of any failure code information stored in the computer systems?

it flashes and now it stays on and it's jolting more
No they didn't

That indicates a severe engine misfire, and will cause poor acceleration and jolting feeling. Those vehicles are very common to have the ignition coils fail. That provides the spark to the spark plugs . You have 4 of them , you will need to have the computer system scanned for the failure code information to help identify which one is failing. Auto Zone and some other parts stores will scan the computer system for no charge, you may need to call around and possibly independent repair facilities to see if they will do that for you. It should have a misfire code stored p0301,p0302,p0303 or p0304. The last number indicates what cylinder is misfiring and you could either inspect and replace the spark plug on that cylinder first to see if that helps, if not I would recommend replacing the ignition coil.

i will check into that. do you know the cost to the sparks or iginition coil

If you replace all 4 spark plugs it may be less than 50$ , Ignition coils are $100-$150 approximately.

Ok thank u

Not a problem at all , let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi. I checked on the plugs and the ignition coil and no signs of any codes came up???

You had the computer system scanned for failure codes? If it has been coming on and flashing, there should be stored failure code information.

They said no problems came up
Could it be the brake booster or vacuum?

I would not suspect the booster, it could be a vacuum leak causing a cylinder to misfire. You may need to have the computer system scanned somewhere else, some of the cheaper scan tools don't have the correct software to retrieve some of the historical failure code information. What you describe and with the engine light flashing is from a misfire and there should be in formation stored in the computer system to help with diagnosis to identify what cylinder is misfiring. If it is running rough at idle you could try to unplug each ignition coil one at a time. If the cylinder is firing the engine rpm will drop when the coil is unplugged. If you find a cylinder where the rpm does not change I would focus on that one as the problem.

Were you able to pinpoint the misfiring cylinder , was it an ignition coil problem?

karrs2fix
karrs2fix
karrs2fix, ASE Certified Technician