Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I miss placed my key, but I have the 5 digit key code. I…

Customer Question
I miss placed my...

I miss placed my key, but I have the 5 digit key code. I towed my 2002 Sequoia into Toyota of Kirkland. They first told me it would be $200+tax including labor to cut a key and program it, same day (Friday) if there by 3pm... and it was. Then they said it was going to be $490+tax and couldn't be done until Monday. Now that it's Monday, they have called and said that the ECU wont seat? and they have to send my computer out to have it fixed before they can cut a key- the price is now $695 + tax.... I don't really care if I have a faub or not. I just want to start my car so I can get to work. Are these guys incompetent? Should I be looking for service elsewhere? Please help... Thanks Leah D

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

When?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sequoia yourself? What have you tried so far?

Did you read my message?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/11/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 8 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

T​hanks for posting when there is only one transponder key and it is lost the procedure is for the dealer to connect their computer and get anew code online from Toyota's tech info system. only a master tech at a authorized dealer can do this, it is called a "re seed" of the engine immobilizer system, this is what the original estimate of $490 was for. Now it sounds like there is a problem with the re seed operation and they want to send your computer out to have it fixed.

That part sounds kind of unusual as I have done this many times with no computer problem, I'm not saying it can't be that case but neither you or I can disprove that at this point. The other choice you may try is to locate a certified locksmith that try the re seed procedure or open the computer and fix it, re set it or whatever they do, I've heard this can be done that may save you some money, good luck and I hope you get this resolved.

Do you know of an offer from Toyota, to replace the computer once in lifetime, at no cost to me. I just need to buy new keys and have the dealer install the computer.?? I have read about this a little on this just answer website, but can not locate the specific policy?

I am aware that there is a replacement policy if all keys are lost for some years and models, only if the immobilizer system is part of the engine control computer and not separate, I would assume that the dealer would inform you of this.

I'll look into it and get back to you.

Thank you!

2000 - 2005 MR2 Spyder* 1ZZ

2001 - 2002 4Runner 5VZ

2001 - 2004 Camry 1MZ-FE w/o 5-Speed AT,

PZEV, 2AZ-FE

2001 - 2003 Highlander 2AZ

2001 - 2002 Land Cruiser 2UZ

2001 - 2003 RAV4* 1AZ

<2001 - 2002 Sequoia 2UZ>

2002 - 2003 Solara 2AZ

Here is a list of the vehicles covered under the special Toyota program

Contact the dealer about this ask them to refer to the special service bulletin "SS003-01"