Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

How are you? Im trying to figure out what's going on with my…

Customer Question
Hey how are you...
Hey how are you ? Im trying to figure out what's going on with my car it's a 99 Lexus es300 . I had a transmission flush in August of this year last night while driving my car did a big jerk and just stoped I pulled over the car will not go into any gear except L . It won't go into reverse , neutral , drive or gear 2 . For some reason I was low on transmission fluid which didn't make since because it just got flushed and filled few months ago . We also added so 2 solution stop slip treatment that didn't work . I'm not sure what's going on .
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/11/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. How low was the vehicle on fluid? Did you fill the transmission back to the proper level?

It was about a quart or 2 low . I put 2 quarts in there and a stop slip treatment & it didn't seem to be the problem because the car still won't shift into any gear but L

I understand. Has the vehicle previously been slipping?

No . I had no previous signs of the car slipping until yesterday it just stoped and jerked out of no where. My dad tried to push the car in neatral but it didn't budge as if the car was locked down . We tried to reverse into park spot can't reverse either. He thinks it's a shifting module or a cable that has been unplugged I'm trying to figure it out ASAP .
Are you still there ?

I hate to say it, but this sounds like there has been some internal failure done. The valve body failing could be the cause of this issue, which is more than likely the case. The issue may also be an electrical issue with the shift sensor(s).

Have you had the vehicle scanned for codes?

You will need to have the vehicle scanned for trouble code in order to determine if the issue is mechanical or electrical and will help determine the route of diagnostic and repair.

No I can't drive the car so I can't go get diagnostic codes . So what steps do I need to take I'm not familiar with cars sorry

Not, a problem. You first need to have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes and have the vehicle inspected to see whether the issue is electrical or mechanical. If the issue is electrical, like a sensor or solenoid, etc, then you can have it replaced. If the issue is a mechanical issue, it is an internal one. This may call for the transmission to be rebuilt or replaced. Once the transmission start acting up it usually goes down hill. Especially since this issue was likely caused by the low fluid.

You could also get an inexpensive scanner from the auto part store and scan the vehicle yourself. A basic scanner will be able to pull codes from the transmission.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.
None of the codes read transmission errors
I got 6 codes but none told me anything for transmission
Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician