Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

The car won't go out of park without using a screwdriver and…

Customer Question
The car won't go...

The car won't go out of park without using a screwdriver and no tail lights no brake lights. Blinkers work and emergency flashers. No inside panel lights either. I changed the 15a fuses but they blow as soon as I replace them

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

I can't get the back light off to get to the bulbs

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

97 corolla

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes doing it myself. I have changed the fuses and using a multi meter to check the fuse box no luck there either

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope I think that's all

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
Forgot To mention twice the engine accelerated when I pressed the brake pedal while the cruise was on, and the cruise will shut off on its own intermittently at other times.... This all began a few days ago on the highway.... My cruise shuts off then my dash lights went out at the same time my tail/brake lights went out...
12/11/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Do you have any electrical test equipment like a test light and multi-meter? Also I would recommend this tool I will send a pic of you can get online or most automotive supply shops. It is a short finder and easy to use. I will be back online latter this evening as I am at work. I will also get the wiring diagram for your vehicle. There is one place you can check in the mean time. Open the truck lid up and on the driver's side where the hinge is pull the panel away and look at the wiring there that goes to the back lights as they tend to brake there from the flexing of the trunck opening and closing , you may need to take some tape off to properly check it. If broken wires . You will need to repair them. I can walk you through that as well.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician