Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 98 TOYOTA 4 runner. I keep up on the oil changes. I…

Customer Question
I have a 98...

I have a 98 TOYOTA 4 runner. I keep up on the oil changes. I recently changed my spark plugs. My truck seems to idle a little off... it has over 403,000 original engine. What's wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? When did you last change the plugs?

Over 403,000. last night

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

My son changed the plugs for me.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was running GREAT before this. Runs strong.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/10/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

ok

If your truck was running normally before, I'd say you have a damaged spark plug, or plug wire.

If you disconnect one at time with the engine running, you should be able to isolate the bad cylinder.

Could also be a bad spark plug out of the packet, seen that a few times.

Gary

I should try changing the wires next

Do you have a multimeter to measure each leads resistance?

Does it feel like it is running on 3 cylinders?

Can you isolate the bad cylinder by pulling one wire at a time, the engine won't change when you find the bad cylinder.

Gary

I can't do anything more right now. can we go over this tomorrow?

Yes, that's fine, come back when you are ready.

Gary

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician