Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

How much does it cost to get help on my 2007 camry? Is it by

Customer Question
hi JA: Hello. How can I...
hi
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: how much does it cost to get help on my 2007 camry?
JA: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Toyota Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).
Customer: is it by minutes, hours, case etc?? how does it work?
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, trying to, the ecu is not detected or it won't connect to odb scanner
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: well, it was a flooded car and i've replaced with 2 other good ecu, replace body ecu, electronic component next to engine fuse box too. not sure why eco can't be detect
JA: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.
Customer: old yeah I've checked all fuses inside and outside of car, and have basically rip the car apart already looking fo issue
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
12/10/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

did you replace these items yourself or have a shop do them?

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I replaced them my self to see if the ecu can be detected, i am aware they need programing to actually start the car. But i would imagine the odb scanner can detect it regardless if key has been programed or not. I have checked all grounds to ecu and body ecu and other connections

No it won't as it needs to recognize the vehicle it's in to register anything. So what needs to be done is hook it up to a scanner and write the new vin number into it then see what happens. Do that and let me know if we still need to proceed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You mean hook it up to a programing scanner or the odb scanner?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But do i even know if its the main body ecu or another componet? So i have to remove ecu and take to get it program be it can be detected by a simple diagnostic scanner?

No it has to be in the vehicle and hooked up to a shop scanner as a simple code reader does not have this capability. It has to have the vehicle's vin number written into the new Ecu so it recognises the vehicle and all it's inputs.

You have to start here or you will be guessing

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok i got you, i'll get some over to see if their scanner to do that

Good let me know what happens ther. One last question, does your vehicle have an immobilizer in it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
with key
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess it does because there is a security light, but its not lite up due to ecu i guess.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The car was given to me...

That complicates things as if it does you have to make sure the new ECU has exactly the same part number on itand this will have to be done at a dealer because it will need a code to get permission to proceed right from Toyota.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok and It does have exact same part number. I am going to bed now but will call and check around to see what that will cost and get back with you. Thanks

ok G/N let me know how things go.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, after speaking with other mechanics I have conflicting info of what you're telling me and their stories. So obviously, I have not spoken with anyone who actually has swapped ecu on a toyota vehicle before or in depth testing. So here's what I did, as all the theories was just making more confusing and driving me nuts. I want to post here so others can benefit from my experience.
I ended up borrowing a friend's working 2008 camry v6 with keyless ignition, mine is a 2007 key ignition, both have immobilizers.
I removed the 2008 ecu in engine and put my flooded ecu from 2007 and guess what?? The odb scanner connected to it and could read and test too!!! This means my ecu from flooded (to the roof) 2007 actually works. You may be saying how in the heck does and ecu work after being under water for a week? These component are made to IP68 or so standards, that means they are water proof to a certain depth and time. The part is completely seal and wiring hardness is too.
I also swap the main body ecu into 2008 camry but it did not power on anything inside. This is because my 2007 did not have keyless ignition there for it did not power on the keyless ignition so I could not power anything on further.So the summery is, a used ecu does not need to be programmed for it to be seen by odb scanner in another vehicle. It does however needs the programming of the security key to start the car. It then also needs the programming of the vin number to ecu so it will pass a state inspection. State inspector will not pass you car if the vin in his report which is obtained from the ecu is different than the physical vin on the vehicle, makes sense to me.So now I need to figure out why my good ecu is not connected by odb. eed to figure out if ecu is getting power or not. My comparison between goo 2008 and bad 2007 is the my engine fuse for inject multi port no 1 and no 2 has no power.

Hello are you there?

I read your notes and agree with what you say in fact it don't need to be programed for it to communicate with the scanner but does to communicate with the vehicle so it can run. With that being said , I understand what your saying now and the fact that it is brain dead in your vehicle. This is most likely do to one of two things, either loss of power to the ECU or missing a ground. So to proceed further I will pull up a wiring diagram for this circuit from our shop manual and send it to you so we can trace and check these two items if that is acceptable to you? Let me know so I can proceed.

I have all the info and wiring diagrams ready to go to solve your issue. Let me know when you wish to proceed so I can guide you to resolve this issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please send

Ok give me some time to load all this , print and send. Also remember this, if your checking anything at the ECU connectors make sure you back probe on the wire side not the connector side as you can damage those ends.

I will proceed to do this right now and send it off to you right away.

I have all the info needed to proceed with and is quite involved and complete, I just sent a request explaining the need for more funds to proceed.

Still waiting for your reply , do you have any questions before we proceed?

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician