Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 1996 rav4 would smoke under hood. I was told it's from…

Customer Question
My 1996 rav4 would...

My 1996 rav4 would smoke under hood

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?

I was told it's from leaking oil from the timing belt but now I noticed that the cooling fans don't turn on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

When I bought it the seller said it was a new radiator.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just recently while parking my car on a hill the smoke started to come through my vents and steering wheel area

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/9/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 4 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting and welcome

Does the smoke coming in smell like burned oil? The radiator fans are a seperate issue and will cause the engine to overheat so I'm wondering if the engine overheating is causing coolant to be forced into the over flow tank under the hood and escaping into the engine compartment, in that case it would be steam rather than smoke and you would smell coolant. So let's see about the fans not turning on. when the engine is idling and you turn the a/c on do both cooling fans run?

Do you notice any oil or other liquids dripping on the ground?

Oil is dripping I recently got a new oil pan and gasket so it's not that. When it smokes it smells like oil burning. I recently put about 4L of oil in it. The coolant level is fine. The ac doesn't work so that test doesn't work

Thanks for the clarification,

So we know there is an oil leak, a common area on these engines is the valve cover gasket, it can drip down onto the exhaust, you were already informed about the timing belt area leak there are a few seals inside the cover that may be leaking, the crankshaft front seal, the oil pump seal and the front camshaft seal, again these are pretty common oil leaks.

There is a cooling fan control temperature switch located on the bottom of the radiator with a connector and two wires, disconnect this switch and turn the key on, let me know if the engine cooling fan runs.

Where do I locate the switch? Can I get to it under the hood or under the car?

You should be able to see it from the top, if not check from below, you may have to remove the plastic cover, the switch should be on the bottom of the radiator, I know it was replaced but it's possible that the switch was not put in and the wires jumpered, be sure to look for the wire connector if there is no temp switch.

How can I send pictures so you can point out the switch?

let me try to send you a diagram or something that will help locate it. Give me a few moments.

Ok thank you
Do I need a tool to to turn the switch off?

You just need a small crescent wrench to remove it, does it have one or two wires on it?

Hello, do you need more time or have other questions for me?

I am online tomorrow most of the day.

I'm currently at work. Thank you for your help so far. I'll look more into it tomorrow

Sounds good, pretty sure we can get this resolved.

Check the 30A RAD1 fuse in the box under the hood, with the key on does it have voltage through it? iT SEEMS THAT ON THE 1996 THE FAN IS CONTROLLED BY THE ENGINE TEMPERATURE SENSOR. It is on the end of the cylinder head near the distributor.

That doesn't sound like a simple procedure and I'm not a mechanic. Plus I don't have a volt gauge

S​orry, a voltmeter or a test light would be needed to really diagnose this further.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician