Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Car starts in am and dies, until warms up, had oil changed…

Customer Question
Car starts in am...

Car starts in am and dies, until warms up, had oil changed yesterday and young man sugisted it could be mass air flow sensor,

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?

Yes. but know hesitation or jerking

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2001 toyota sienna van

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I will have to take to shop, I am an 86 year old lady, and i would like to have an idea what i am looking at as far as problem and cost

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes one other, it sound like it is sucking air until it warms up also

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/8/2017
Toyota Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 7 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

That sound of sucking air can be a vacuum leak and this will cause a lean condition when it needs to be richer on a cold engine. The shop that you bring this to will test for vacuum leaks with a smoke machine along with a scan of your computer.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Please stay on this question and close the other one you opened.

Thanks again, Ron