Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota Prius** My 05 Prius acted up while I was on the

Customer Question
highway recently. The odo suddenly...
Toyota Prius** My 05 Prius acted up while I was on the highway recently. The odo suddenly went away and the red hybrid system light went on. It felt like the car 'disengaged' and wouldn't run despite stepping on the gas pedal. I took it to a nearly Toyota dealership, and they ran a diagnostic. They said that the error was related to 'running out of gas.' But they said the tank was full, and I said I hadn't run out of gas in recent months. the tank was still a quarter full when I filled it. They cleared the error code and gave me a 'clear to drive'. less than 20 miles afterwards, the same thing happened. I decided to have AAA tow it to my mechanic, who said that he drove the car with a fuel gauge to assess the fuel pump. That isn't the problem. Now he's looking at the catalytic converter. I read online that overfilling the tank does weird things. I do overfill the tank when I go on long drives, and I do so about twice a month. Is this a reason?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/8/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you have the VIN available so i can check the code history?

JTDKB20U153121434
also, I'm not sure if this will help, but after the last time I topped off, the fuel meter didn't register 'full'. it went to like 75% and then stopped

Ok let me do some research and I will get back to you.

ok thanks

Unfortunately when the dealer checked the codes they did not run a complete health check at your last visit which did not store the freeze-frame data and malfunction code numbers. Is it possible that they gave you a print out of these code numbers and the sub information numbers for the code numbers? Can you possibly call them and get that information? At any time did the display ever go blank or stay blacked out? Does the shop you are currently having the vehicle checked out have a way to test for codes if the light came back on with the master triangle warning light did they check for hybrid codes and engine control codes with a have a copy of them at this time?

the display didn't black out, only the odometer reading goes blank. as for the code readings, i will call the dealership back and see what they have on record

Ok let me know when you can.

Any luck on this yet getting the codes?