Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Am considering purchasing a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with…

Am considering purchasing a...

Am considering purchasing a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with 155000 miles and serviced regularly, for about $5000. Own two other regular 4 cylinder Camry's with exceptional reliability. Am concerned about electric battery life

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

No. Local Toyota technician said there is no way to test longevity. Dash light will let you know of an issue. Replacement in the $2500 to 3K range

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I am looking to buy a used 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid but am worried about the hybrid battery life span as replacement cost is high

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Thank you.

12/7/2017
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Can you post the vehicle identification numbers I can do a little research to see if any issues have happen prior on this vehicle?

JTNBB46K673031762
Let me do some research I will get back with you after lunch.

After doing further research there's not much service history on this vehicle. The last time it was at the dealership was in January 2014 with 108,000 miles on it. That visit it was noted that the low oil pressure light was coming on and it was noted that there was no oil in the engine or on the dipstick and it took 3 quarts of oil to top it off. It doesn't sound like the service history is very good on this vehicle. There was a special service campaign and to take care of this particular engine will and this particular year for excessive oil consumption it was a replacement of pistons and rings. However there was no history of this ever being done at the dealership. In 2014 it would have been covered under the warranty unfortunately now it is out of warranty because it's only good for 10 years and 150,000 miles. I would probably steer clear of this vehicle unless you can 100% confirmed that the oil consumption problem was taken care of. At this point the hybrid battery is the least of your issues technically speaking we have had very few problems with the hybrid batteries either in the Camry or the Prius or the Highlander.

Interesting. The Carfax provided by owner notes the 1/2014 visit but does not include the information you provided. Attached is the Carfax, provided by the owner. Sorry it's view is side ways. Am aware of the oil consumption issue as we had our former 2009 checked out. It did not meet the consumption rate as established by Toyota. Does your answer change at all?

No my information and answer remains the same for the Carfax report shows the exact same date and mileage of 108,587 miles at the Lancaster Toyota dealership your Carfax only shows drivability diagnostics my breakdown shows why the drivability diagnostics was done and it states that the customer states low oil light is illuminated and under the customer pay line the diagnostic shows that it was low on oil by three quarts. There's no other additional service history at any dealer indicating that the problem was resolved.

IF I were to take this car to Lancaster Toyota and pay them for a complete diagnosis/ evaluation prior to purchase, could/would that reveal any negative/positive conclusions?

If they pull the spark plugs out and they have not been changed within the last 5000 miles they would show obvious Signs of oil consumption due to carbon and crud build upon the plug itself they can also run a borescope down it and see how saturated the cylinder walls are with oil. If they pull up the service history and the service writer that worked with the vehicle is still there they may be able to give you some indication as to whether or not something was done with the car but on my end it shows no warranty repair for the oil situation. Regarding hybrid battery typically they can do a couple of health checks to confirm that the 14 modules are within 1/10 of a volt of each other if everything looks good as far as the voltage the hybrid battery probably is okay. As far as doing oil consumption test that has to be done over a 1200 mile period. And has to use more than 1 quart of oil. That's not likely something you can do unless you've already purchased the vehicle.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Thank you, ***** ***** all your insights.

You are welcome

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician