Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1991 toyota pickup with a damaged ignition switch…

Customer Question
I have a 1991...

I have a 1991 toyota pickup with a damaged ignition switch that won't turn at i need to remove ignition assembly but it won't turn to acc. to push removal button should i drill out old switch?

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '91 Toyota?

Manual 5 speed someone tried to steel it and screwed up the switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried to turn key to acc. but it won't turn

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I started to drill it out no luck

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/7/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do not drill it at this point. What I normally do is take a large screwdriver that has a shank that you can put a wrench onto and drive the screwdriver into the lock cylinder where the key would go then force the ignition lock cylinder to the accessory position you can then take a small punch and hammer and drive the pin into what's left of the detent in the lock cylinder. If it still won't turn to the accessory position typically by using a large screwdriver in the lock cylinder it will break the faceplate off and break the tumblers out of the lock cylinder allowing you to get deeper into the lock cylinder to get to the accessory position to allow the pin to be pushed in and remove it. Once you start drilling it makes it more difficult to get the lock cylinder out and the pin driven into the lock cylinder in the accessory position. Sometimes even if you get to start to move you can carefully drive that little pin in to the lock cylinder.