Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

When the car is turned off the fog lights both front and…

Customer Question
When the car is...

When the car is turned off the fog lights both front and rear and dash lights will not turn off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

I have looked at the fuses. None appear damaged. There isn't one specifically marked for these lights

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

1999 Corolla

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to. I have checked the fuses

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
Just noticed the license plates lights are also on.
12/6/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Ok so I would play around with the switch that controls the on and off for that, there could be a short in it allowing it to stay on, try it in all positions move the lever around try every position you can think of and see if they turn out

I have tried that as well. To no avail

does this have daytime running lights?

OK if you have a multimeter and are very god with using it I can send you a few test sheets that will guide you through finding the problem with your system

I do not have a multimeter

This is a extremely complicated headlight system, it would be the only way we would know how to pinpoint whats the cause of it, do you have someone that could help with the tests?

I do not no.

I would suspect the daytime running lamp relay but there is no way to be sure

What are your suggestions seeing as how I do not have a multimeter or anyone around who does?

I would take to a shop for the diagnostics and replace the part yourself, should only be 1 hour labor

Which part?

whatever they diagnose as being the problem

your answer, which cost me $20.00, is to take it to someone else and spend even more money?
I want a refund.

pretty much, if you cant do any diagnostics and there are about 8 possibilities of what could be wrong how else are we going to figure this out? This is not a simple this is exactly whats wrong do this situation. I also dont get paid by the hour here I get paid by the question, so basically you have gotten all this information for free, which you did not know about before, and I sit here not getting paid for my time and knowledge.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician