Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2001 echo doesn't start after running this morning. Starter…

2001 echo doesn't start after...
2001 echo doesn't start after running this morning. Starter doesn't engage, no clicking. Cleaned terminals, no change, VOM reads 13.9 across terminals. HELP!
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you check power at starter singal wire and main voltage feed on starter while someone tires to start it?

No I am alone, my am former a&p mechanic but back in the 1970's but I'm very familiar with this car. I will try to get a reading while I turn the key
Shawn, can we text? Voltage starts at battery voltage but drops to 11.5, guessing that mean a bad starter.

your getting that at the signal wire? or the main feed?

Main cable, I can't get access to that little wire at that terminal, I just cracked it trying to access it.

you might have to pull it to get to the wire

Okay, I guess it was just a cover for the main feed that I broke. Pull the the little wire off the starter, turn the key and what should I see? Voltage

yes atleast 12v

Shawn I'm sorry, I had spinal fusion surgery 3 weeks ago and shouldn't be doing things like this and it's raining. So can you just talk me through what it would mean if it's less than 12, and where to go next?

I would next check the relay and voltages at that, more than likely the contactor inside the relay is burnt and will need to be replaced,

The starter relay? Sorry but not sure where that is located

yes and ill see if I can find a location be right beck

its in the underhood location still looking for a layout of the exact location

Okay

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yg7uuyem7sww734/relay.docx?dl=0

Here is the location, disregard the arrow, the circled one is what you want

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dok1i0nsw541irz/start.docx?dl=0

Ok when you pull it check this way and if its ok transfer tests to terminals where it plugs in with key in start position and check signals that way

Okay thanks
Stupid question, how do I get the relay out without breaking it

it shoud just pop out, wiggle it back and fourth very gently in all directions

Got it, testing now
Getting a beep between terminals 1 & 2 I guess the relay is good okay? What next?

check the same terminals 3 and 5 but where it plugs into the panel and check for a power and ground, I dont know which one is which so you will just have to probe with your meter and see, the diagram isnt very specific

with key in start position

Turned key to start, meter dropped to zero

im confused are you checking for power and ground on each ?

Sorry thought voltage was what were looking for on the car, we just want continuity correct?

just power and ground, like I said I dont know which terminal is which, so you will have to probe for both at each terminal so if you get a positive on one the other will be ground

I might be confused here, the meter beeps when in the key in start position. You want me to check for power and ground on both 3 & 5?

yes check for power and ground on 3 and 5,

on dc20

Close to battery voltage on 5 or close to it and 0 on 5
0 on 3 sorry

ok so if you have your meter on positive battery terminal and check 3 does it show voltage ?

No, zero

ok do the same thing on 1 and 2 and see what you get

I should be power and 2 ground

Zero

nothing on both?

key in start position?

No key not in start position, battery voltage on 5 nothing on the others.

so you could have a ignition switch or park neutral safety switch problem, you also should have ground on 2 so that makes me thing you may have something wrong with the fuse panel

Okay.....key to on for #1 term 3.24v, #2 term 0v, #3 term 0v, #5 term battery. Key to start, #1 battery, #2 0v, #3 0v, #5 battery

ok so if you have ground on 2 then everything is working properly and that means you have a signal wire to starter bad

The little wire going to the starter that should be battery voltage when key to start?

correct

Runs from the relay/fuse box or ignition switch?

the starter signal wire comes from the relay box

Okay, I'll check for loose connection tommorow. Thanks

Sure thing!

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me nothing less than a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Good morning Shawn, I forgotten to ask you yesterday what voltage that starter signal wire should be when key turned to start?

12v

Okay thanks

sure thing!

Stupid question here, does that wire have a fusible link?

for the main power feed it does but the signal wire does not

Sigh! I just can't seem to get that connector off.

can you send a pic of it maybe I can offer some assistance with that

It's too dark, I'll try again tomorrow, thanks
Ok Shawn, managed to get a voltage on the little black wire to the starter and it's 11.6 the starter is on the engine block behind the radiator right?
Hello?
Shawn??
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi, I'm David, so you have jumpered the starter relay slot 30 to 87 and you have voltage at the starter solenoid wire?

Just retested the starter relay as per Shawn. Have continuity on term 1 & 2 but none on 3 & 5. Ran battery voltage across 1&2 an heard clicking in the relay. Replaced the relay a read voltage with key to start and got battery voltage. Could it be the starter solenoid?
On the little black wire to the solenoid

yes, and a better way to test is to pull the relay put a jumper between 3 and 5 and if it doesnt crank, the solenoid is bad

Okay just to be clear, a jumper between 3&5 on the panel on try to start. Like jumping the solenoid from the old days. If no start, what's next?
Ok confused now, jumped 3&5 starter turned. Bad relay?

have you swapped relays?

Just jumped 3&5 on the relay panel and the engine started, replace the relay but afraid to turn the car off. Is it a bad relay?

go ahead and turn the car off

I did and it restarted, man.....I have no idea now.

the relay coil needed a kick in the butt. replace it

try starting it every 2 minutes for 5 times.

Okay

if it starts every time still replace the relay.

I was stranded 2 days at home and live alone. Knew how to jump a solenoid in the 1970s but newer cars. Guess I better carry a jumper wire! To get my ass home! This an old car with half million miles. Change oil when I should. What else should I address?

please note customer satisfaction is my number one goal and leaving 3 stars or more rating for me will allow us to continue this dialogue until you are completely satisfied.and your vehicle is fixed. you may ask as many questions as you'd like at no extra charges. thank you have a great day

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

thank you

David or Shawn, hello?

yes?

Sorry but after starting 4-5 times yesterday I get a no start this morning. I did replace that relay. Tried jumping 3-5 terminals, reading voltage at little black wire on starter, which is battery voltage, I get no clicking at all. What's next?

if you are reading voltage at the solenoid then its bad

With key to start? Is there a way to engage that starter so I can get to the auto parts store?

jump across the starter terminals

Little black wire to big black wire? Should I replace whole starter or just solenoid

yes the big to the little. make sure the big one has 12 volts before you do though. and replace the entire starter

Okay trying to start now

ok

Sparks but no starter turn, seized perhaps?

bad starter

smack it with a hammer

Tried my old Ford starter trick from my high school days and banged on it with a hammer and jumped the solenoid, it started and starts with the key. Explain? Bad part on the starter windings? Just happens to fall on that bad spot on the starter?

bad part

It's been 40 years since I had to do anything like that, lol! I'll get a starter

very good.

david craig
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic