Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Intermittently, the engine does not start when the key is

Customer Question

Intermittently, the engine does not start when the key is turned. It makes no sound -- no clicking sound or anything -- it just refuses to turn over.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Ignition lock was recently replaced. And the starter was recently replaced. (4 weeks ago). This problem has been going on for more than 5 years. Replacing the starter was supposed to fix this, but did not work.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 1991 Toyota truck, extended cab, V6 engine
JA: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: huh?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: fixing the cab? No.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have paid my fee... now where is my expert???? STOP PUTTING UP THESE f**kING PAY WALLS!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.
Hello Eddie here and I will do all I can to help is it automatic or manual transmission if it's automatic have you tried putting it in neutral and raking the gear stick around to see if that made any difference if it does it probably needs a neutral safety switch if it's manual transmission tried jumping the clutch switch with a paperclip see if that helps
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Eddie. Please pardon my frustration. But please also communicate to the designers of this system that once money is paid (that is, once a credit card number is *****), I expect to COMPLETE THE TRANSACTION. I do not expect the artificial intelligence system to continue begging for more money. Ok.... rant is over.To answer. It is an automatic transmission. And I have tried various positions of the transmission lever, including Neutral. I'm not sure what you mean by "raking the gear stick". Do you mean, shifting the lever back and forth over the neutral position?
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.
That is correct holding the key in start position and moving the gear stick through its entire range to see if it starts then I should say cranks not starts see if it cranks then also can you get a test light at the starter motor now to see if the small starter motor wire gets any power on it when the key is turned to start position