Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My oil light flashed on and off on my 2013 Prius. It blinked…

Customer Question
My oil light flashed...

My oil light flashed on and off on my 2013 Prius.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

It blinked on and off when going down hill and then turning - but then blinks off - it started over the weekend and it flashed so quickly I could not tell which light it was.. Yesterday it did it a few times.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

No - I had my last service on October - and I have over 1000 until I should have my next service. I have my car regularly serviced at my deal on the schedules since I Have a hard and challenging commute.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My husband just checked my oil @ 1/2 ago and said he did not see any oil. We have not seen any sign of a leak. He does not think it would be safe to even go to the dealer (@10 miles away). He also does know where to get the oil that is current in the car that the dealer put in.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/5/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your engine holds just at 4 quarts of ILSAC multigrade engine oil SAE 0W-20.These are engine oils bearing the API starburst symbol since 2005 are ILSAC GF-4 compliant.A local parts store can show you or sell you what you need for your model as there are several oils that are compatible with your model.

You should have an engine oil filler cap on the engine to add oil to bring it to the proper level.Then the vehicle needs either driven or towed to the dealer or a service center to locate the source of the oil loss to repair it from there.If you have no external leaks it may be mixing with engine coolant or being burned off in the engine due to an internal engine or cooler leaks.You would need it inspected to locate and repair the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Ok, the light just flashes on periodically - would it be ok to drive my car 10 miles or so to the dealer? I would like to let work know what is happening - which is much further.

If you arent showing any oil on the dip stick I would add engine oil before you drive it to prevent damaging the engine.Since the light is on and off though this means in most cases the oil level is right at the point where it is unsafe to drive.I wouldn't risk it until oil is added.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete