Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My check engine light, VSC, and 4WD alert lights are coming…

Customer Question
Hi- my check engine...

Hi- my check engine light, VSC, and 4WD alert lights are coming on. It started a couple of months ago. Periodically I would reset the fuel cap and everything would be ok after a while. Then that wasn’t working. So I replaced the fuel cap altogether. Worked for a couple of day then happened again. When the lights come on the car runs very rough, like stuttering. It’s a 2008 rav4, v6, 4WD, with 300k miles. I’ve never had any serious problems. It’s well maintained. A friend looked at it and he thinks it might be something clogging the exhaust, maybe in the catalytic converter. Because, if I leave it sit for a day or two, it seems to fix itself. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on-no blinking

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2008 rav4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing it myself exactly- other than changing the fuel cap. But- the puzzling thing is, on Friday the car was doing this. Stammering, alerts , etc. thank double check the fuel cap. Nothing seemed to help. Yesterday- alerts were on, but no stammering. This morning, alerts are gone and runs normally

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only that it seems like the sound of the car is ... deeper..than before. When I’m on the freeway. Like, more bass or something. Which made me suspicious of something with the exhaust. But nothing like white smoke or anything like that

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/4/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 4 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

H​ello, welcome to the site

The fuel cap or an evap recovery system leak won't cause this problem unless the evap canister is saturated with fuel. It sounds more like there is an intermittent misfire or other engine control malfunction, in any case the first thing that should be done is to get some diagnostic code information due to the check engine light being on. Most people don't have a code reader that connects to the computer but if you do please scan the computer for diagnostic codes, if you have any information already please let me know, otherwise you can go to any auto parts store like O Reilly, Autozone, Advance Auto etc and they can help you get the code information at no charge for you, then please reply here with any code numbers that they give you and I'll be glad to help come up with a solution specific to the issue.

Thank you- I will head over to the local oreilly and respond back later

Sounds good, I may be offline for a couple of hours later today but will get back to you asap.

P​lease write the code numbers down or get a printout if possible.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician