Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2009 Camry LE with a theft deterrent system. Alarm…

Customer Question
I have a 2009...

I have a 2009 Camry LE with a theft deterrent system. Alarm was set in valet mode. Yesterday key fobs quit working to lock/unlock and keys would not start car. Alarm went off any time anything was opened. Replaced car battery and fob batteries. Fobs don’t work, car still won’t start. Tried several iterations of resetting alarm. Now car will do nothing except flash red valet button and make a clicking sound when key is in ignition. Disconnected car battery for now. Any ideas on how to get the alarm off and the car started?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you double-checked to make sure the positive and negative signs are lined up correctly?

All batteries are back in original positions and match the owners manual

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

I’ve tried all the “disable” and “reset” options for alarm system Involves turning key and pushing valet button in a variety of ways

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I’ts raining and the window won’t close.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 day by:
12/5/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

How old is the battery and has it been properly load tested as these security systems are very voltage sensitive.

As I stated in my original question, the battery was replaced so it is brand new. The car is now functioning. It was towed to a local dealer on Monday who had to reprogram both sets of keys in order to get things working and then I had the alarm removed.

This sounds like possibly the battery when installed arced and blew a fuse-able link, so check the high ampere ones under the hood in the main fuse block especially the ALT and main ones.