Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Same problem as above. No low beams. Put in new bulbs,

Customer Question
switched out 15A fuses, and...
Same problem as above. No low beams. Put in new bulbs, switched out 15A fuses, and traded places with the two big square relays? And nothing changed. All I have are brights.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/3/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Is this a 4 door extended cab or singale cab and do you have daytime running lights?

4 door yes daytime running lights

OK at both low headlamp fuses with low beams on check for power

let me know what voltage reading you get

I’ll have to go get a meter. BRB
Ok. 12V across both L & R low beam fuses

so you either have a power supply issue to the headlamp or a connector problem, that fuse is the last stop until it gets to the low beams

What are the odds that both would fail at the same time?

slim, very slim, the lamp shares the same ground as the high beams so it cant be a ground issue, have you measured voltage at the connector?

I can do that next. You mean where the lightbulb goes in correct?

right, blue and green/white are the low beam power in both marked terminal 1,

When I measure the voltage at the fuse I used the negative terminal on the battery and the positive on the fuse with that make a difference somehow?
I am going to pull out the lightbulb and see if I get any power inside the connector

thats how you would want to measure it

OV at the connector
The orange running lights work just not the headlights

what do you mean by ov at the connector?

Zero volts at connector

So next would be to check the wires and if no breaks found pull connector on back side of fuse panel and inspect for burnt pins or anything wrong with the pins

I can definitely do this but I’m out of time for the moment. How can I start up our conversation again? Is it possible?

just log back in on your just answers account or it will send you snips of each entry of the conversation to your email, click on the last one and it will bring this conversation back up

Ok. But just so I understand the whole fuse box can be removed from the engine compartment and is that done with the clips on the side of the fuse box I’m not talking about the top of the box but on the side of the box there appear to be clips that I could use two separate where the fuses going from the wires beneath it is that correct?

yes that should just clip in and be able to pop out. and the will be connectors on the backside of that, just pull those and inspect for damage

hows it coming?

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician