Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My Toyota Hilux 3D 4D 2005 mod makes a whistling noise when…

Customer Question
My Toyota Hilux 3D...

My Toyota Hilux 3D 4D 2005 mod makes a whistling noise when shifting back to a lower gear. What is the cause of that?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

There is nothing wrong with the transmission. Someone told me that it could be a dry thrust bearing or a slack timing belt.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2005 With full service history. The whole clutch kit was changed not so long ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I never worked on my vehicle myself. I would like to fix the problem myself before going to an agency.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It sounds like the back wheels when gearing back on high revs but the noise comes from the front of the vehicle and it is a two wheel drive.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/3/2017
Toyota Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that could be causing the noise depending on exactly how it is being produced, and it will most likely require some diagnostics in person to determine the source of it.

The thrust bearing can definitely make noise but it wouldn't just happen when downshifting.

Will the noise happen any time the clutch pedal is pressed?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician