Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Key fob battery died and put my Camry into security shut…

Customer Question
Key fob battery died...

Key fob battery died and put my Camry into security shut down mode. I replaced the battery but can't get it out of this mode. Won't start....just clicks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you double-checked to make sure the positive and negative signs are lined up correctly?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Camry?

2013 XLE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the key fob batteries, unhooked car battery cables for 10 and replaced. Locked all the doors. Used new battery key fob to open, and put that key in the ignition. Just clicks. The remote start tries to turn the engine over, but it won't start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm just looking for a way to reset the security alarm...or unlock it...or whatever. Th anks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/2/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 7 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

what do you mean by "The remote start tries to turn the engine over, but it won't start."

I have an Auto Mate remote start on a key fob as well. The battery in my Toyota key fob was going bad (stopped opening the doors, etc) recently and I was having to use it manually. I just purchased the car used with only 43,000 miles. Yesterday, I dropped my daughter off at school, and as soon as she opened the door to get out...the engine shut itself down...the way it does when I start it with the remote starter...then get in and put my foot on the brake. After that...it kept trying to "restart" by itself...I could hear clicking at the relay switch. I had it towed home. Replaced the key fob batteries today, unplugged the car battery terminals for 10 min. I locked all the doors. Replaced the battery cables, closed the hood...and then used the smart key with new batteries to open the door, and tried to start the car with the key. It still won't start...only clicks. I pressed my remote starter button...and at least the engine tries to turn over when I do that...but it just clicks and then shuts off.

where does the clicking come from?

Right side of vehicle wiring under glove compartment. My friend called it the relay switch.
Are you still there???
If you need my VIN please let me know.