Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2009 Toyota sienna 3.5 starch or two seconds runs fine shuts…

Customer Question
2009 Toyota sienna 3.5 starch...
2009 Toyota sienna 3.5 starch or two seconds runs fine shuts off can you continue cranking will not start turn key off start again run for two seconds just fine shut off same thing over and over turn key off start right up shut up turkey off start right up so on and
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/2/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 7 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

Those codes are for ignition coils/igniters on cylinder #1 and #4 were these coils already replaced? Both are on the cylinder head near the radiator so fairly easy to replace.

We’ll have to take a look at them. Is there a way to test them with the multimeter?
Is there a resistance range from one pin to another?
Thanks

I'll have to check on that and get back to you

Remove a known good coil (in this case #***** at the end of the cylinder head to the right) then remove the coil #4 and compare resistance between the terminals. By the way I earlier said coil #1 was on the front head this is not correct#1 is on the firewall side at the front of the head, #4 is at the center of the head near the radiator.

Ok great. I’ll have to try that and see what happens and go that route and see what happens

Sounds good, let me know if I can answer any other questions you may have.

Just realized there’s a misfire at all cylinders. It was just showing one at a time before

Two bad coils or even one can affect all cylinders.