Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Toyota Camry LE with a 3.0L V-6. I already…

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 Toyota Camry LE with a 3.0L V-6. I already have the engine out and on a stand and stripped down to basically just a long block. I had originally planned replacing valve cover gaskets, rear main, pan gasket, etc., etc., when I noticed burnt coolant residue in the 'valley pan' area beginning at the bottom of one of the heads indicating that I need to also change the head gaskets as well. I have always done my own work on my vehicles and I am an 'O.K.' home-mechanic, but I am not sure that I am able to tackle removing the camshafts, lifter shims etc just to remove the heads so that I can replace the head gaskets. I realize there is really no other way, but are there some helpful hints that you may have to make the procedure go smoother? I am also wanting to replace the valve stem seals and can find almost no information in the Haynes manual that I have. I am sure you know that those are close to no help sometimes. Any help or information that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, *****: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?

Yes it is the first time I have ever taken an engine out of a vehicle. It is a 3.0L V-6.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am doing this on my own. As I said , the engine is on a stand and stripped down to just a long block. I am ready to remove the valve covers so that I can replace the gaskets, but now suspect that I have at least one bad head gasket.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that I would also like some instructions for replacing the valve stem seals as well. Thanks.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/2/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

OK in your manual does it give you the cam removal procedure? and for the stem seals its a snap there is a removal and install too online you can get

https://www.ebay.com/i/352125411787?chn=ps

it does describe how to remove the camshafts but in a confusing way. I am just not sure that I completely understand the way that they describe removal.

ok no worries, ill send you what I have and see if its worded any different maybe this will help, give me just a min

I guess that I am going about this the wrong way possibly. I think that I will have to pursue other options. I thank you very much for your time but at this point I would just like to see if I may get my $5.00 deposit back and continue on. Thank you

ok cool well good luck, ill put in for your refund,

Thank you very much though!
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician