Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I'm building a custom 1974 FJ55 Land cruiser but need new…

Customer Question
Hi I'm building a...

Hi I'm building a custom 1974 FJ55 Land cruiser but need new drive train. Was wondering if the transfer case on a first geb tundra can be switched from drivers side to passenger?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

That's it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 3 days by:
12/5/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician

I am sorry no one has responded yet. I know you must be thinking " I have been taken or this is a scam" Neither is the case. Sometimes there are more questions than we can get to and we just keep getting farther and farther behind. Sometimes what a customer asks, no experts online are confident their answer will be good enough. Is there any more information you can add to your concern or is there another concern you may have that we could answer instead?

Chris

No its ok.
I'm open to suggestions on what to repower this beast with though. Would like to stick with Toyota.

A lot of people go Automatic transmission Chevy 350 and a 700R4. Manual transmission Chevy 350 and an NV4500/NP205

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

I'm looking for Toyota options Chris not Chevy.

Being I have not done this conversion I do not feel I am best to answer that. I will opt out.

Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 4 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello! Different expert here. Unfortunately, the Tundra transfer case is not going to work here. It mates up to the Tundra transmission, which will not mate up to your engine (The bellhousing is very different, plus you need electronic controls/computer for the shifting). If you want to make this work, and use all Toyota units, grafting a pickup truck engine and driveline would be the recommendation. You will also have to have custom driveshafts created to mate to the existing axles. Sorry that the Tundra option will not work.

K so what I was thinking was using the complete engine/tranny computer from tundra. Will the stock transfer case fit the auto tranny. The tundra transfer case is on wrong side to match driveline. Is there an adapter available

No. The FJ trans where the transfer bolts up is markedly different and I know of no adapters. There is always the possibility of a machine shop fabricating one for you though.

Ya I just so happen to know a machinist, might be the only way. Driveshaft aren’t a big deal. I’ve seen a couple online with this combination but I think they changed axles from fj60 which are centered

Correct. I would do the axles too.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert