Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My blinkers are not working properly. They blow the 10 amp…

Customer Question
My blinkers are not...

My blinkers are not working properly. They blow the 10 amp fuse on my 2008 toyota rav4. I put a 20 amp fuse in and i find that that left blinkers work. The right blinkers and hazard lights flash once in the dash of the car but the bulbs do no light ever.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Like I just said the 20 amp fuse allows the right blinkers to work however the left blnkers and the hazard lights do not work

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ive checked all the bulbs and replaced the fuse

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I recently had a trailer lights installed 4 prong...with a box. i am not sure but the installation of the wiring for the lights coincides with this problem

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/1/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 4 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

did the issue start exactly when the trailer lights were installed?

I think so but i am not sureI need to correct myself: It is the left blinkers that work with the 20 amp fuse. the 10 amp fuse blows when you put it in. with the 20 amp fuse the left blinkers work but the right blinkers do not. the hazard lights also do not work. when you engage the right blinker the light flashes once on the dash but the bulbs do not light. same with the hazard. the lights on the dash flash just once but the right side blulbs do not light
is the phone call 26.00 on top of the 20.00 i am going to pay? or 26.00 grand total?

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

it is suspect that the trailer lights were not wired correctly, I would go back to whoever installed them and have them check all of the wiring and installation.

the other possibility is a simple short in the turn signal circuit, which is possible but not terribly likely

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert