Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Base RAV4, V6, and just had the oil changed at…

Customer Question
I have a 2008 Base...
I have a 2008 Base RAV4, V6, and just had the oil changed at a Jiffy Lube. At the end of the servicing, they asked me to come and look at what they said was a broken baffle where oil is added to the engine. I have never changed oil in this car because I am now disabled, but I've done research on line, consulted with Grieff Auto Tech in Princeton, IL., who has done major work on the Rav. They did the last oil change and used plastic bottles. The owner said his mechanics would have noticed any damage to the baffle. I checked the baffle this afternoon and there is indeed a piece missing, triangular, about 1" x 3/4". The car has been driven 2-3 days for about 40 miles. I know I need to get it repaired right away but have no idea where the piece of baffle went or how the local Toyota dealer's service dept. can find it. I have read of the consequences of ignoring the problem and they are severe. Jiffy Lube suggested the piece went through and into the oil pan and drained out. Jeff Grieff said a piece that large was too large to fit the drain hole. I'm thinking of having the oil pan pulled first to see if any metal is in there, and then have the valve cover removed and hope the missing piece of metal can be found. So far the Rav is running fine with no unusual noises at all.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/1/2017
Toyota Mechanic: tech0405, Technician replied 7 months ago
tech0405
tech0405, Technician

Ok is the baffle part broken is where the oil fill hole is located on the valve cover ??/