Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 01 tacoma 3.4 liter starts and runs poorly then flat

Customer Question
shuts off. I've replaced everything...
My 01 tacoma 3.4 liter starts and runs poorly then flat shuts off. I've replaced everything I can think of. Rebuilt the motor prior to the no run problem
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/1/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Greg, Technician replied 4 months ago
Greg
Greg, Technician
Hi , Name is ***** ***** I’m reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as I can.
Rgds Greg
Is the check engine light on when the engine is running.
Have you checked for any malfunction codes.
Rgds Greg
Engine light is on. Battery light and 4x4 light is on. I've replaced the crank sensor can sensor. Computer. Fuel pump fuel regulator tps..
I've replaced the ignition switch as well. Checked fuel pressure. Replaced the igniter
Sometimes the code is the mass air flow
Disconnect the MAF then start the engine and see if se runs better .
May have to start a few Tim’s and rev up the engine to get her to run .
Then let idle then test and let me know how she runs
Rgds Greg
Thank you. I've tried that. Replaced that. It still flat shuts off. Tried starting fluid. Made it die.. so it must be getting fuel
Clear all codes Start engine .
If you feather the accelerator can you keep the engine running.
After starting the engine a few time check and let me know what codes you have .
Greg
If I lightly very lightly throttle it. It will rev to 2000 rpms.. But then flat fall on it's face just flat dies like you threw the switch I've had a few different codes tps. When it was disconnected. Sometimes maf
Ok good , carry out a fuel pressure test ,this is looking like a fuel delivery issue. low fuel pressure.
Check pressure then get back to me
Rgds Greg
I would like to or need to call you and figure this out. I'm desperate. What do you think the chances are of getting this figured out?
All I can suggest at this moment is to do a fuel pressure test . I’m sure this is the route to your problem, test will confirm. After testing and it low or high we can phone .
Greg
Thank you. I rented a fuel pressure gauge. Different fittings to hook up on Toyota's. The pressure is 45 lbs at idle. I also put a test light on the power wire to the fuel pump. At the pump to see if it lost power when it shut down. And it kept power to the pump. Even when it died
Ok good we know it’s not a fuel problem good work .
Recheck for codes ?
Give me the code number
Well it hasn't thrown a code for awhile. It has before thrown a tps code. But I think that was because I had unplugged it to see if it would run. And it did. So maybe it's not reading it correctly. Do you think the stator could be bad on the crank for the crank trigger? Or in the wrong position ?

Do a back pressure test on the exhaust you may have a blocked catalytic converter .

Greg

I've had someone suggest that. It could be. But that might be odd. Because it tan good when I got the pickup had a bad knock then after I rebuilt the engine it's been doing this. I've checked cam timing and changed it a few times. Until I figured it out. Even after the Toyota dealer steered me the wrong way. Thank you. I will undo the exhaust. Just to find out. I'm out of answers at this time. So I'll try anything
If going from what you have done and all is correctly done then not much else could cause you this issue you have .
So do this and get back to me .
Rgds Greg
Ok. I'll do that tomorrow. This problem is so odd and such a pain. It's terrible. I'll get back to you tomorrow. Thank you
That it is Sir .
Keep me posted .
Rgds Greg
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician