Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Idling rough when in park or in drive with the brake pedal…

Customer Question
Idling rough when in...

Idling rough when in park or in drive with the brake pedal applied. Check engine light now had it scanned at autozone with error codes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It comes and goes but stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2002 Camry LE 4cycl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm going to try but haven't yet. Been looking online to see the possible cause

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It feels like it gonna stall when stopped

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/30/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Ok

Have you got the trouble codes so I may help you better. Just remember trouble codes do not tell you to replace parts but just give you a place to start to isolate the issue and narrow things down.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

No trouble codes which was unusual. The check engine light was on when it was scanned at Autozone.

No that may not be unusual , depending on the type of code reader they use as there are many different ones from the basic one to the advanced scanners used in shops. Also it depends on the person doing the reading how experience they are, just a code reader does not make a technician. there are three areas codes can be in the ECU -- pending, history and current , not all readers can see all these areas. Also if it is not a secor the ECU may not pick it up as a fault to register.

This problem could be anything from a vacuum leak ,bad fuel or injectors not spraying properly which would not register as a fault code. But if the light did come on I would see if I could get another shop try to pull up a code first.

From what my wife told me it started a few days ago but gradually got worse and check engine light came on this morning. Rough idle around 500 rpm and feels like it's gonna stall which it did 3 times when I drove home each it was when I was stopped at the light.

I understand and would strongly have it scanned for codes again it should show if acting up that frequently. I can give you some things you can try doing in the mean time if you want

that would be great

I understand AUTO ZONE does this service free of charge right?

that's where I took it
I'm concerned if I keep driving it like this will it cause further damage to the car?

I don't mean to be abrupt but the old saying is you get what you pay for as they are in the business of selling parts that's why they do this free and if it was that simple I wouldn't waist my time paying for my trade license. If you catch my drift.

Ok how long ago has this vehicle been tuned up?

I don't know exactly
It has been awhile since I can't remember

I can offer you a service to explain things you can do yourself to try and find the issue faster if you wish , your under no obligation but I feel it would be beneficial.

I am a Toyota master tech since 1977

What is your wish ?

We can continue texting if you prefer that?

could you please either respond or rate my service so we may close

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician