Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The AWD and Engine Check lights went on. I checked the gas…

Customer Question
The AWD and Engine...

The AWD and Engine Check lights went on. I checked the gas cap, but it doesn't seem to change anything

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2016 RAV4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The only thing I tried was to remove the gas cap and put it back on until I heard the click

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I filled the tank last night,and drove to work this morning, but the lights came up when I got in the car to return home from work. It was ok in the morning

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/30/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Have you noticed any difference in the driveability of the vehicle? Did both light appear at once?

No difference in driveability. Both lights appeared at once
Typing is ok. No phone is needed.
What is your answer?

I am putting your information together.

Just a moment, please.

This is indicating and issue with the transfer. The transfer case control the function of the All Wheel Drive. The check engine light is on because this issue is part of the transmission. In order to pinpoint the cause of the issue, the vehicle will need to be scanned and once the codes are retrieved testing can begin.

Your next step is to have the vehicle scanned for codes. I have attached information on the warning lights and what they mean along with probable causes.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

you are basically charging me to tell me to go get the car checked? No really immediate solution?

I'm giving you the only option you have. I see that you are disappointed. I'm sorry that news is not always good. Have a great day.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician