Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1998 Toyota Camry 2.2 and it’s having a idle issue…

Customer Question
I have a 1998 Toyota...
I have a 1998 Toyota Camry 2.2 and it’s having a idle issue I pulled the codes and the only code is p0505 it just starting doing it all at once.and I can unplug this vacumm hose and it starts to run normal.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/29/2017
Toyota Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 4 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

Ok thanks

get a new gasket for it if needed.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow-up questions you may have. Also, we can respond to this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Wonder why is runs normal with that vacumm hose off

thanks because it needs that air

vacuum leaks always make the idle higher

Ok one more question I pulled the old thermostat out and it looks like someone did something to make it stay open so I put a new one in it and it ran hot after about 5 minutes

it could be the water pump or radiator. do both radiator hoses get equally hot?

Not sure I haven’t checked but it has a new water pump on it

well, you need to check the hoses.

Do they need to be equally hot?and it never ran hot with the stuck open thermostat.

yes, they both need to be equally hot.

its not going to run hot with an open t stat. never will

but you aren't having any pressure built up and therefore the coolant isn't getting hot and it needs to be a certain temperature so the computer can control the engine at maximum efficiency

If it’s not getting equally hot should I look toward the radiator needing flushed out

absolutely

you may also want to check for cold spots on the radiator when the engine is up to operating temp. you can do that with a digital temp gun

Ok I checked the hoses and the top hose is getting hot and the bottom hose that is going to the thermostat is not.

first thing to do is lush out the radiator

flush*

Ok flushing out the radiator did not work

ok, with the system full and the engine up to operating temp, is the system under pressure?

it seems to be

so if you try to remove the cap, it is under pressure? or can you remove it easily?

Well now I just went out there to get it up to temp and it ran a little hot and went back down to normal and now staying at normal.

maybe it had air pockets in the system

still running normally?

hows it going?

please note customer satisfaction is my number one goal and leaving a 3 stars or more rating for me will allow us to continue this dialogue until you are completely satisfied.and your vehicle is fixed. you may ask as many questions as you'd like at no extra charges. thank you have a great day

david craig
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic