Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Thank you my Toyota car refuse to accelerate, Yes the car is…

Customer Question
Thank you my Toyota...

Thank you my Toyota car refuse to accelerate

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Yes the car is also vibrating

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/29/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen years of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

Does the vehicle idle fine?

Is the check engine light on?

Did the vibration occur when the acceleration issue occurred?

No the vibration occurs when I put on the A/C but the main issue right now is they the car refuse to accelerate

What about the check engine light is it on? Does it idle fine?

is on

Does it idle fine?

Do you happen to know what codes come up from the check engine light?

No I don't know the code and I don't know if it idle fine
Ok let me go over some diagrams and get back to you with some possible causes :)
I'm a novice to a car I don't know much about my this Toyota Avensis 2004 model and if I may also ask does this car normally have electrical issues?

I was just coming back to ask for the year make and model. It is European, I am sorry I have no information for it, I only have experience in vehicles with No acceleration issues in USA models, which have been a throttle unit issue. If Your European Toyota is engineered similar to USA, then I would say it will be a Throttle Unit issue for that issue Occurs a lot on USA models. Would you like another Expert to take over that MAY be more experienced in European Toyota?

I will like another expert that has experience in European Toyota

No problem :) I will open.

Toyota Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

another expert here

you don't say what year and model your Toyota is but

I'd say if its shaking about on idle and won't respond to the accelerator then its possibly misfiring and may be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine
If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

if this is OK then I'd next remove the inlet pipe off the engine and with the ignition on and engine off , have your assistant slowly press down on the accelerator whilst you watch the throttle plate / butterfly move

it should move smoothly and slowly with no jerks or sudden steps and go fully open

Have tried all that,have also changed the throttle mouth and I have checked the throttle unit as well all re working very fine yet the problem is still there

Ok

can you tell me the year and model please?

Toyota Avensis year 2004

Thank you

Ok have you measured fuel pressure with the engine running?

if so what was it?

if it was at least 3 bar then I'd say its worth using a 'noid' light to check that you're getting an injector pulse to all cylinders

and if thats OK then I'd do a compression test across all cylinders to check that they are all within 10-15 psi of each other

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt