Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2015 highlander is stuck in limp mode after jumper pack was…

Customer Question
2015 highlander is stuck...

2015 highlander is stuck in limp mode after jumper pack was hooked up backwards. 10a etc was blown replaced but still have a hard code p2118. also showing trac off, brake system fail, check awd.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

P2118 yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, replaced fuse, checked codes, went through pin point diagnosis via all data

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I really don't to pay $20.00 to have you guys tell me to bring it to the dealer. whats your policy?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
The main bus bar looks and ohm's good the other orange bus bar looks good too. I don't have 12v bm+ looking at scan tool
11/28/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 7 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

You replaced the ETCS fuse is this correct? Does the fuse have voltage going to it and checked it with a test light or voltmeter?

sorry etcs fuse 12v dc on both sides and w/ light

H​ave you tried clearing the code and if so does it come back as soon as the key is on?

I prefer to text rather than a phone call, do you wish to continue?

texting is ok but i requested a phone call am I getting charged $26? i thought i my total was $26 now that i read it it looks like an additional cost to talk. Sorry i'm confused

You should not be charged unless I click on the "accept this request" on my end which I did not do.

ok great, yes its a hard code

A​re you able to clear the code? either by disconnecting the negative battery terminal or the code reader? If yes, does the check engine light turn back on right away when starting the car? You said the fuse is good and has power to it but no +BM voltage at the computer is this the case? The computer +BM voltage comes directly from the fuse. Check with the key ON.

it clears but comes right back after starting car. I checked the +bm with the snap on modis scanner via the throttle actuator test. I did this late last night so maybe the key was not on. I can recheck

Yes, let me know, I have run into this problem many times after the battery was disconnected or jumped etc. it is getting power through the fuse and this connects directly to the ECM, when this code is set it means that the ECM has seen a drop in voltage from the fuse, it's a simple circuit, if there is no voltage to the +BM terminal at the ecm there must be an open circuit in the wire or the ecm is the fault which I doubt at this time.

I agree, I think I need to physically check for +bm power at the ecm w/ a volt meter. Would you know what pin i should be on? All data says C1-60 but the ecm terminals are labeled A1to a60 on the smaller plug and b1 through 100 or something on the big connector but i don't see c1-60

I'll see if I can locate a connector diagram and get back to you.

I can not upload this information directly from Toyota due to copyright laws, I don't have anything in my files which I could send either so I'm going to refer you to Toyota's technical information system at techinfo.toyota.com ...

for a few dollars you can get access for 24 hours and download the information you need specific to this vehicle, good luck and I hope this helped.

Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Do you still require assistance?